db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Manjula G Kutty <manjula.ku...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about Grant/Revoke
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:16:52 GMT
Hi ,
 I was investigating the Grant/Revoke functionality added till now. And
found

ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:grantdb;create=true' user 'mkutty';
ij> create table t1 (i int, j int);
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> grant select on t1 to mkutty;
ERROR 42Z60: GRANT not allowed unless database property
derby.database.defaultConnectionMode has value 'sqlStandard'.

I know as per Derby docs the 'derby.database.defaultConnectionMode'
property specifies the default access permission and can have values
like "noAccess", "readOnlyAccess", or "fullAccess". So I think the above
error message is misleading.

I'm using the following derby jars

[C:\pantry\derby.jar] 10.2.0.0 alpha - (384095)
[C:\pantry\derbytools.jar] 10.2.0.0 alpha - (384095)

Also to mention that if I'm not mistaken I have to put the
derby.database.sqlAuthorization property only for upgrading derby from
version10.1 right?  I came to this conclusion because I found the
follwing sentences on the functional spec under "*derby upgrade and
migration*"

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12324061/grantRevokeSpec_v2.html

<quote>
When a database is created, if derby.database.sqlAuthorization property
value is true, the database gets created with standard security mode,
enabling grant and revoke. This property could be set either as a system
property in derby.properties file or as application property.
</quote>

But the following lines caught my attention

<quote>
It may be good to switch the default connection mode to standard model
and hence support grant/revoke by default in future releases.
</quote>

Is this being implemented?

Can any one please clarify?

Thanks