db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: User code sharing? [ was: Re: Question?]
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:34:42 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:
> yeradis wrote:
>
>> why other tools like sql server , postgres , oracle, enterprisedb, ...
>> and last but not less Access  are good?
>> i think  because they have built-in functions , simple funtions like
>> julius mentioned
>>
>> of course what i mentioned is a very small feature
>> but this small thinks are big aprecciated by the normal user
>>
> ====  SNIP  ===
>
> Is there a way that, as people implement such functions they could make
> the code available to others in the community who are also interested in
> the features?  I guess I am thinking of a Derby user code sharing area.
> It seems a shame that others interested in the functions might need to
> write the same code and worse that users who do not program in JAVA
> cannot easily gain this functionality.

We might be able to create a place on the Derby Wiki (
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ ) for users to share code.

One concern I have about putting it on the Wiki is users must contribute
code under the ASL (http://www.apache.org/licenses/) , and there's no
way to enforce that with the Wiki. For example, when you upload a file
to a Jira issue it includes a step that allows granting license to the
ASF. The Wiki doesn't have that feature.

I'll ping community@apache.org to see what other apache projects are doing.

 -jean