db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: derbytools.jar loading derbyclient.jar
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:38:09 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

[snip discussion about Class-Path manifest entries on backwards compat]

> Also note that it only affects jars loaded via the -jars option or via
> the classpath. The Class-Path attribute would have no affect on
> classes loaded via a custom classloader or in an environment where
> custom classloaders are used to partition resources, such as in a J2EE
> environment.

Just wanted to follow up on this, that it's either incorrect or
incomplete. :-)

The standard class loader java.net.URLClassLoader also honours the
Class-Path manifest entry, so the above is:

  - incomplete- should be a third category of installed class loaders
using URLClassLoader.

  - incorrect - custom class loader really mean uses of URLClassLoader
and so the Class-Path manifest is correctly handled. I think J2EE
environments usually use URLClassLoader.

Just want to ensure any documentation correctly reflects the situation.

Dan.