db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Grant -revoke (464) and future backwards compat
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:03:35 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>Creating an external routine would have all sorts of security concerns
>>for a database owner, it's allowing a remote user to execute code on
>>their system.
>

> I thought of a fairly clean solution for this in the 10.2 timeframe:
>
> Allow creation of Java routines (functions & procedures).
>

> 2) Allow execution of Java routines that map into a public static method
> loaded from a jar file installed into the database using
> sqlj.install_jar. This is ok because the database owner must have
> granted permission to install the jar and set the database classpath so
> they showed they trusted the user already.

This one may need to be more specific, maybe only if the jar file was
installed in a schema owned by the routine owner. I found out that there
is a USAGE permission on jar files, so if we want to support that in the
future we would need to restrict access now to jars owned by the user. I
need to look at this some more.

Dan.