db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: ij.startJBMS() returns null with JDK 1.6 tests
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:20:17 GMT

Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 2/10/06, David W. Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@sun.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi, all.  If I run a test built with the 1.6 JDK, ij.startJBMS() returns
>>  null with absolutely no message or explanation.  It works fine for
>>tests build with the 1.4 JDK.  Has anyone else encountered this.  Do we
>>know what's going on?  Is there a way to diagnose ij to get more
>>information?
>

> Been meaning to followup on this for a while, as I'm sort of tracking
> testing issues with 1.6. Did you ever figure it out? Is the test being
> built with 1.6 and run in 1.4? That I would expect to fail with the
> current build environment. But test built in 1.6, ij and engine built
> in 1.4, and the whole thing run in 1.6 and ij.startJBMS() returns null
> there?

I never figured this out, but basically if you build a test using 1.6
(e.g. one of our JDBC4 tests) and you try to use ij.startJBMS() using
the *current* build environment (which I assume means ij was build with
JDK 1.4), you get a null returned with no error message.

I am pretty sure you'd get this same behavior outside of the test
harness, but you never know...

David