db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject [WWD] Revised Proposal and Outline/Topic list for review
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:46:46 GMT
A revised proposal and complete topic outline for the Working With Derby
document has been posted to Derby-913.  This can be downloaded via the
URL below.  You are invited to review the v1.1 proposal plus topic list
and let me know if you see anything amiss (a nonessential topic or a
missing essential topic).  The new document flow is intended to get
people creating a database without learning all the behind the scenes
details (e.g. Derby-1019 and Derby-1063  provides syntax that does not
require CLASSPATH be introduced in order to run Derby with IJ).  Please
comment on the degree to which this flow supports that goal.
   DOWNLOAD URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12323521/WorkingWithDerbyV1.1.html

In particular I would appreciate comment (support for or alternatives
to) the following:

1) The basic organization of each activity (BASIC ACTIVITY FORMAT).
INTENT: The organization separates explanations (body text) from the
command examples and output.  This allows people that just want to
execute the commands to jump to the 'Activity Sequence' and launch into
using the product without reading any explanation at all.
    BASIC ACTIVITY FORMAT:
Each activity begins with a  bulleted list that describe the commands
that appear in the 'Activity sequence' that follows.  The 'Activity
Sequence' shows the commands and output (for most a cut-N-paste from a
command shell).  Occasionally a LABEL will appear in the 'Activity
Sequence' where there is a difference between Windows and Unix syntax to
identify the OS the example represents.

2) Referencing the Derby installation file path.  I see setting and
using the environment variable DERBY_HOME (currently called
DERBY_INSTALL) to indicate the filesystem path to the DERBY installation
as the best way to provide command syntax examples (e.g.   java -jar
$DERBY_HOME/derbytools.jar ij)
  With the changes made by DERBY-1019 is one of the few 'setup' steps
that remain before launching into IJ.
Is there a better way?