db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: derbytools.jar loading derbyclient.jar
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:37:46 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> Here's a thought for a totally different approach to solving
> the original problem, which I will unfairly summarize as:
>
>   Make it easier for brand new users to run Derby in trial
>   situations without having to learn a lot about scripts and
>   CLASSPATH settings.
>
> What if we shipped two configurations of the Derby classes:
>  - the first configuration is the current one, with the Derby
>    classes broken out into the separate jars. Each jar
>    continues to be independent (no Class-Path manifest entries)
>  - the new configuration is a single jar ("derbyall.jar", say)
>    which has all the classes from derby.jar, derbytools.jar,
>    derbynet.jar and derbyclient.jar in a single jar file.
>
> Then, the "new user" tools and examples could just tell users
> to run things like
>
>    java -jar derbyall.jar ij
>    java -jar derbyall.jar NetworkServerControl start
>
> While the more advanced user, who wants to carefully load only
> the necessary classes, mix-and-match versions, etc., could
> continue to use the separate jar files as they did before.
>
> What do you think? Does an approach like this offer any value?

That's a great idea, I would add one minor modification.

Don't have the classes in derbyall.jar, just Class-path entries.

Class-Path: derbynet.jar derbytools.jar derbyclient.jar

Then it's (almost) the same functionality for almost zero overhead.

The name may want to change as well, something that indicates it's
really only for use as a command line tool. derbycmd.jar doesn't quite
seem right, maybe others have better ideas.

Dan.