db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: derbytools.jar loading derbyclient.jar
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:23:10 GMT
Here's a thought for a totally different approach to solving
the original problem, which I will unfairly summarize as:

   Make it easier for brand new users to run Derby in trial
   situations without having to learn a lot about scripts and
   CLASSPATH settings.

What if we shipped two configurations of the Derby classes:
  - the first configuration is the current one, with the Derby
    classes broken out into the separate jars. Each jar
    continues to be independent (no Class-Path manifest entries)
  - the new configuration is a single jar ("derbyall.jar", say)
    which has all the classes from derby.jar, derbytools.jar,
    derbynet.jar and derbyclient.jar in a single jar file.

Then, the "new user" tools and examples could just tell users
to run things like

    java -jar derbyall.jar ij
    java -jar derbyall.jar NetworkServerControl start

While the more advanced user, who wants to carefully load only
the necessary classes, mix-and-match versions, etc., could
continue to use the separate jar files as they did before.

What do you think? Does an approach like this offer any value?

thanks,

bryan