db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Susan Cline <home4...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: [web] derby web site reorg
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:28:05 GMT
Hi Jean,

I made comments where you asked for input below.  Overall, I like the look
and navigation of the site better than the old one... thanks for doing this.

Susan
--- "Jean T. Anderson" <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

> 1) Some time ago somebody mentioned the blue menu on the left was too
> dark. It turned out to be easy to change it to beige in the forrest
> config file.
>
> Is beige an improvement?
> Or leave it blue?

I think it looks a little bit light right now, but I also agree the blue
was a tad dark.  If I had to pick between the too, I prefer the lighter one.

> 2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
> page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)
>
> Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?

I like the quick start section and it seems like you have most things covered.

> 3) Home tab gets a "Quick Links" section, which many apache sites seem
> to have
>
> 4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
> (Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)

This is a huge improvement.  I think it was too hard to find this before.

> 5) Combined Manuals and Papers into a "Library" tab. (Idea from
> Geronimo: it says Library on the left-hand menu and has a Documentation
> tab -- I like "Library").
>
> I also Renamed "Manuals" to "Documentation".
>
> 6) Renamed "Integration" tab to "Resources" (idea from XmlBeans)
> "Integration" has always struck me as awfully specific and not everyone
> might understand what it means.
> Also, I simplified the links on the tab -- felt it was too cluttered.
>
> do you like it? hate it? any suggestions?

I like the addition of the Library tab a lot.  The only thing I'm not sure
I understand the rational for is the separation of the Resource from the
Library.  But I guess if you say the Library is only related to Derby
and not how Derby works with other things, it does.  But it appears that
there is overlap between the two.