db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Updating copyrights for 2006
Date Sun, 05 Mar 2006 11:13:44 GMT
Saturday, March 4, 2006, 5:43:35 PM CET, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> And just to clarify, updating to new DTD definitions doesn't warrant
> updating the copyright in the Derby source files; however, changes to
> the actual content do.

In the legal-discuss thread Jean referred to, they made a distinction
between "substantial" changes (e.g. rewriting a method) and changes that
"would not likely be protected under copyright law" (e.g. changing the
value of a constant, or renaming a variable). I updated the Derby
Contributor Checklist on the wiki a couple of days ago, so that it now
says the following about copyright notices:

<quote>

Every java and DITA source file in your patch must start with the Apache
copyright notice. You should update the year(s) in the copyright notice
as appropriate: The year should be the year the file was first created,
as well as additional years when the file was revised or updated,
utilizing either a series of years separated by commas (yyyy, yyyy,
yyyy) or the first year and current year separated by a dash
(yyyy-yyyy). See the existing Derby Java files for examples.

</quote>

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyContributorChecklist

Please update the wiki if you find that the text does not match your
view of what should be the guidelines given to Derby contributors.

--
John