db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Updating copyrights for 2006
Date Sun, 05 Mar 2006 11:13:44 GMT
Saturday, March 4, 2006, 5:43:35 PM CET, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> And just to clarify, updating to new DTD definitions doesn't warrant
> updating the copyright in the Derby source files; however, changes to
> the actual content do.

In the legal-discuss thread Jean referred to, they made a distinction
between "substantial" changes (e.g. rewriting a method) and changes that
"would not likely be protected under copyright law" (e.g. changing the
value of a constant, or renaming a variable). I updated the Derby
Contributor Checklist on the wiki a couple of days ago, so that it now
says the following about copyright notices:

Every java and DITA source file in your patch must start with the Apache
copyright notice. You should update the year(s) in the copyright notice
as appropriate: The year should be the year the file was first created,
as well as additional years when the file was revised or updated,
utilizing either a series of years separated by commas (yyyy, yyyy,
yyyy) or the first year and current year separated by a dash
(yyyy-yyyy). See the existing Derby Java files for examples.

Please update the wiki if you find that the text does not match your
view of what should be the guidelines given to Derby contributors.

View raw message