So, the problem I'm seeing is *only* when running derbyall, (not with derbynetclientmats run by itself), and it's also related to the fact that I've commented out the 'runwithjdk14=false' in the file.
Which is a little esoteric, I agree.
Still, it's worrying, it seems to suggest that the property does not get unset when running in derbyall. You indicated you tested with jdk15, and I assume you confirmed that the property is not retained further down the line.
So it's a puzzle.
Maybe only doesn't get unset if the test fails?
The test harness kicks off a jvm process for every suite (RunList). The way we have the suites now, with encodingTests before the suite derbynetclientmats, is unusual.
I am wondering whether it would be better to put encodingTests as the last suite in

On 2/7/06, Myrna van Lunteren <> wrote:
I  updated jira that that must've been a fluke...And I did say the skip problem must've been unrelated to deepa's patch.
However, I am a little concerned about something else.
I ran derbyall with insane jars under DOS, and 84 client tests so:
*** Start: CompatibilityTest jdk1.4.2_03 DerbyNetClient derbynetclientmats:derbynetclientmats 2006-02-07 11:48:42 ***
0 add
> ■  j a v a . l a n g . N o C l a s s D e f F o u n d E r r o r :  org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.junitTests.derbyNet.CompatibilityTes ř
> Exception in thread "main"
Test Failed.
I admit, this was after I had commented out the skip for jdk142, but still, it's a bit suspicious. It's as if the UTF-16 encoding setting gets passed on...or something.
I'm investigating, and would appreciate it if you could wait for my results.

On 2/7/06, Kathey Marsden (JIRA) < > wrote:
   [ ]

Kathey Marsden commented on DERBY-683:

Do I need to  wait to commit this patch for the ibm15 skip to be fixed?

> Use correct encoding for ClobOutputStream on client
> ---------------------------------------------------
>          Key: DERBY-683
>          URL:
>      Project: Derby
>         Type: Bug
>   Components: Network Client
>     Versions:,
>  Environment: all
>     Reporter: Sunitha Kambhampati
>     Assignee: Deepa Remesh
>      Fix For:
>  Attachments: ascii.txt,, derby-683.diff, derby-683_tests.diff, derby-683_tests.status
> In client, there is code in ClobOutputStream which uses this api - new String(byte[]).   Per the java api[]) ,this will construct a string by decoding the array of bytes using the platform's default character set.
> is used for Clob.setAsciiStream and the write methods  use the String(byte[]) which is incorrect because it will use the default platform encoding. Per the jdbcapi , this should use ascii encoding.
> In areas related to Clobs, also check for other places where  String(byte[]) is used,as it may not be the desired behavior.
> Dan pointed this problem here :

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators:
For more information on JIRA, see: