db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: default holdability
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:09:04 GMT

Hi,

Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:

> The JDBC 3.0 spec is silent on this, sections 14.1.1 and 14.1.2 describe
> what can be done when a ResultSet type or concurrency is not supported.
> However in 14.1.3 there is no comment about what can be done when a
> requested holdability is not supported. Also ResultSet does not have a
> getHoldability method to allow the application to determine if its
> request was honoured or not.
>
> I just can't see the value in changing the default behaviour and
> affecting existing applications because holdability is not supported in
> two cases.

I agree with Dan on this one. Rather than risk breaking existing apps,
for SUR, we should just document this for now; hopefully we can find a
solution for holdable SUR also, along the lines Mike outlined (by
invalidating open result sets when inline compress happens), so the
restriction can be lifted.

Thanks,
Dag

--
Dag H. Wanvik
Sun Microsystems, Database Technology Group (DBTG)