db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SQLException and missing stack trace
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 21:01:16 GMT
"David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouvering@Sun.COM> writes:

> Hi, Knut, you're right, I didn't see your original email, I do have to
> have a pretty tight filter to get anything done besides read email.
>
> The intent was to "clone" the SqlException into a SQLException, but
> you're right, the stack trace and other context of the SqlException
> would be lost in the way it's done now.  Thanks very much for catching
> this!

I think "thanks for running into this" would be more precise. ;)

> If the SqlException itself was caused by another exception, I have to
> make sure that history gets saved too.

That won't be a problem since that cause would be linked to the
SqlException, so you could do something like this in your application:

  try {
  } catch (SQLException sqle) {
    Throwable cause1 = sqle.getCause(); // SqlException
    Throwable cause2 = cause1.getCause(); // SqlException's cause
  }

> I'll log a bug and take a look at this.

Thanks for looking into this. You'll probably need to update a couple
of master files as well. At least, when I had the proposed changes in
my sandbox, some of the tests failed because of extra "Caused by:"
lines.

--
Knut Anders