db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about sanity test
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:50:32 GMT
On 2/28/06, Vemund Ostgaard - Sun Norway <Vemund.Ostgaard@sun.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been reading a readme file explaining the testing in the
> org.apache.derbyTesting package, and have a couple of questions in that
> regard.
> I am looking for a minimal sanity test to verify that an installation of
> Derby is healthy, that the most basic functionality works. I'm not
> exactly sure what such a test for Derby ideally should contain, but I am
> thinking something like:
> * create database
> * create table (with index), insert record, update record, read record,
> delete record, delete table
> * do this through 'ij', embedded, and with network client.
> Should try to make the test robust with regards to changes in the
> product or different vms.
> Do you have any opinions on what such a test for Derby should or
> shouldn't do?
> Does something like this allready exist?
> If it doesn't exist, would I most likely find the necessary tests or
> building blocks somewhere within the derbyTesting package, so I could
> just glue it together as a suite, or will I have to write it from scratch?
> Would such a test be useful for you (or your customers)?
> Thanks,
> Vemund

For the most basic check, I run sysinfo. :-)
After that, I run the test lang/supersimple.sql. So, I'd do:

java org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTestlang/supersimple.sql
 java -Dframework=DerbyNetClient
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest lang/supersimple.sql
The test harness creates the database, and as this is a .sql test, in
essence, it uses ij. Running without any framework parameter defaults to
embedded, DerbyNetClient runs it with the network client.

View raw message