db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Main class for derbytools.jar
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:31:43 GMT
On 2/21/06, Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/21/06, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
> > Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> >
> > > Dan, expanding on your previous idea, what if we add a class to
> > > derbytools.jar as it's default run class that just switches on the
> > > available tools, then you can do:
> > >
> > > java -jar lib/derbytools.jar ij
> > > java -jar lib/derbytools.jar sysinfo
> > > java -jar lib/derbytools.jar dblook
> > > etc.
> >
> > +1 That's a very cool idea.
>
> Great, let's take it one step further. Why don't we remove the
> frameworks directory. Completely. All the scripts there are for
> running the above three classes, and NetworkServerControl, which we
> also recently added the ability to run with -jar. Perhaps we could
> have a top-level bin directory with a simple readme on how to run the
> tools.
>
> What do you think? The downside is there's quite a bit of doc impact,
> but I'll be glad to help out with that.
>
> andrew

+1 on that. I'm assuming the lib in (eg) lib/derbytools.jar is referring to
the default location & thus optional?
Should also make implementing (a reworded) DERBY-667 - (test) more feasible
(before it was hard to think of a way of making this work automated on all
platforms).
And/but vice versa, if we are indeed doing this, we need to obviously
definitely implement automated tests.

Myrna