db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Kurley" <mark.kur...@activant.com>
Subject RE: Derby - sysinfo call hangs
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:05:37 GMT

We are running this on AIX.

When the process hangs I try to send "kill -QUIT <pid>" to the process
but it just hangs.  I get an entry in the file /tmp/javacore_locations.
For example it added the entry

	/tmp/javacore45520.1139323327.txt

But this core dump file does not exist.  The process continues to hang
until I send "kill -9 <pid>".   So for some reason it seems like the
process never receives the "kill -QUIT".

Any suggestions on how I can figure out when the call to the "sysinfo"
script hangs sometimes?

Thanks
-mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Pendleton [mailto:bpendleton@amberpoint.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:35 PM
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Derby - sysinfo call hangs

> I have noticed that sometimes when I call the "sysinfo" script the
> process hangs.

You didn't mention what platform you are running, but you should be able
to get a Java Stack Trace showing all the threads in the sysinfo
process, and what they are waiting on:

- On Windows, use Control-Break: Hold down the Control key and press
   the Break key.

- On Unix systems, send "kill -QUIT" to the process which is running
   sysinfo, from some other window on that machine.

Then, capture the output from the Java Stack Trace, and send it along.
That will provide more information about where in the sysinfo script it
is hanging.

thanks,

bryan

Notice: This transmission is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
information that is confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete this transmission and any attachments and notify the sender by return email
immediately.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.