db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Raymond Raymond" <raymond_de...@hotmail.com>
Subject Two questions on derby checkpointing
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 04:48:11 GMT
I have some questions about derby checkpointing. Someone can
help me to make it clear? ^_^.

1. I want to summarize what events will trigger a checkpoint?
On the derby website :
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/logformats.html
I found such comments:
With the default values, a new log file is created (this is known as log
switch) when a log file grows beyond 1MB and a checkpoint happens when the
amount of log written is 10MB or more from the last checkpoint.

RawStore exposes a checkpoint method which clients can call, or a checkpoint
is taken automatically by the RawStore when:

1. The log file grows beyond a certain size (configurable, default 1MB)
2. RawStore is shutdown and a checkpoint hasn't been done "for a while"
3. RawStore is recovered and a checkpoint hasn't been done "for a while"
I am no very clear about what " for a while " means in the second and the
third comments.
I also want to know are there any other events will trigger a checkpoint
besides these?

2. As what we discussed in the "incremental checkpointing issue" before,
I need to monitor the data reads and log writes, to gather some runtime
disk I/O information. So far, I found the basic classes to do data reads are
:
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.RAFContainer.java
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.InputStreamContainer.java

the basic class to do log writes is :
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogAccessFile.java

Are there any other classes is involved in data reads and log writes
directly?

Thanks.

Raymond

to offer.

  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.