db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: One approach for sometimes avoiding test changes in fix patches
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:20:59 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:

> Knut wrote in the patch submission for DERBY-822
>
>> I hope the size of the patch doesn't scare off potential
>> reviewers. The actual code changes are very small. 95% of the patch is
>> just updating the master files for the Wisconsin test.
>
> I thought I would share my approach to this issue. This approach works
> when improving the code while not adding any user visible features (as
> Knut is doing). It is also applicable when implementing a feature
> requires additional testing of the existing functionality, because, say,
> you notice some areas are not tested.
>
> I skimmed Knut's description of the patch and several of the changes are
> related to changing the tests to ensure they could provide consistent
> behaviour in embedded and client, now with pre-fetch. These changes
> seemed to be mainly actually execute the queries and fetch the data,
> rather than just execute with no fetch.
>
> Thus these test changes can be made without requiring Knut's code
> changes for pre-fetch, thus they are independent. With test changes like
> this I make the test changes in a separate clean codeline and not in my
> development codeline. Then I commit the change from the clean codeline
> and do a svn update to bring them into the development line.
> And it's an identical process if while I'm improving an area I find the
> existing functionality could do with more testing, then I make test
> improvements in the clean code line.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advice! I really like that approach. I'll extract those
changes I have made to the tests that are independent of the
pre-fetching and submit them as a separate patch. In the patch I
submitted, most of the test changes were made to the canons only,
hence they are not independent of the code changes. However, I think
most of the tests can be modified so that they have the same behaviour
regardless of pre-fetching. If I make those changes to the tests, the
code changes are no longer indirectly tested by the modified tests, so
it might be a good idea to add some explicit regression tests as well.

--
Knut Anders