db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Grant and Revoke, Part II ... DERBY-464...
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:51:21 GMT
Hi Satheesh,

Please find my comments enclosed below:

On 2/8/06, Satheesh Bandaram <satheesh@sourcery.org> wrote:
[...]
>  I am not sure if previous discussion about migrating a legacy mode database
> to Grant Revoke model was finalized. It seems there were two thoughts:
>

> 1. Keep authorization models separate. Legacy mode database can be migrated to
> sqlStandard model by connecting with a URL property. (sqlAuthorization=true)

How to restrict anyone to specify this new URL property? This is a
system privilege by itself that would need to be granted unless it is
a user with an 'ADMIN' role (which we don't have yet). Are we also
going to allow users to move from legacy to grant/revoke during the
database upgrade phase? I thought so.

> 2. Dan proposed combining both models with Grant and Revoke capability being
> seen as adding fine-grain access control on top of current model. While this
> proposal doesn't impact Grant and Revoke work being done currently by much,
> it may have implications on some future work. (like system privileges) This
> does make it easier for existing databases to adapt new capabilities.

I remember we discussed this - This sounds good if Ansi ROLES are not
there but when they are, then equivalent roles for the various legacy
authorization modes can be defined to act the same way. For instance,
a role for a 'read-only' authorization identifier (i.e. user/role) can
be defined to act the same as legacy
'derby.database.readOnlyAccessUsers', etc - you just assign some
defined 'READ_ONLY' role to the users that you reference as part of
the derby.database.readOnlyAccessUsers' derby property...Hence, no
need to mix 2 authorization modes of different standards but until
ROLES are there I agree with Dan this is a *must* to have...