db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: derbytools.jar loading derbyclient.jar
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 04:49:16 GMT
On 2/28/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> There was lots of talk  in old code sharing threads about the potential
> for two different parties to have  interaction and won't get into that
> here.  I am not sure though about the potential for tools impact in
> these configurations.  I think that might need some investigation.

As mentioned in the previous mail, though, I'm wondering in what
situation mixed versions on the classpath *would* be supported and
expected to work. E.g. 10.2 server wouldn't work with 10.1 engine,
because the server would get a ClassNotFoundException looking for the
new EngineConnection class. If a user has two apps and they both added
different versions of the client or engine (or server) jar to the
classpath, then it is likely that whichever app gets its jar into the
classpath first will work, and the other will not, especially if they
are dependent on behavior specific to one version of the client, or if
they check the version of the driver.

So I'm left wondering in what situation mixed versions on the
classpath would be supported and expected to work. Do you have any
examples? I couldn't find any concrete examples in the shared code
thread that didn't directly relate to the fact that strange results
could arise if old shared code worked with new shared code. The way it
is, I would be surprised if jars of mixed versions worked at all, or
that whatever was first in the classpath would simply override any jar
later in the classpath.

thanks,
andrew