db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: default ij protocol (was Re: [WWD] review suspended)
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 20:53:17 GMT
On 2/24/06, Satheesh Bandaram <satheesh@sourcery.org> wrote:

> I thought we have two setup scripts, one for embedded use and another
> for network server/client?

This is true, but if we're not using the scripts to start ij, but
using java -jar, then it would be nice to a) report which mode on
startup, and b) tell the user how to switch. There's already an easy
way to switch: PROTOCOL 'jdbc:derby:net' - although I think we should
again report the mode if that is called (e.g. embedded, client,
non-Derby protocol)

Plus, the duplication of scripts for the tools seems counterintuitive,
and I'd like to avoid it with the new scripts that I'm writing.

> >marsden        Somthing. I don't know what. And a message "Starting ij in
> >embedded mode. To connect to network server ..." or some suc
>
> This sounds good... Though not sure if IJ would know at the startup
> whether embedded or network mode is going to be used. Same IJ can be
> used to connect to both local and remote connections. But if classpath
> doesn't have derby.jar, may be it can assume client/server mode.

derbytools.jar has both derby.jar and derbyclient.jar on its
Class-Path. I think we should default into embedded mode since we
don't know what the user would want, but then when we report the mode
at startup we can also give them the command to switch to the net
client, and it's only one command away and right in front of them. :-)

Add to my wishlist for ij the syntax HELP [COMMAND]. Some of the
commands could use a little more explanation than just what is on the
one help screen we have now.

And isn't LOCALIZEDDISPLAY mode gone? I just noticed its still there
in the help text.

andrew