db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: default ij protocol (was Re: [WWD] review suspended)
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:49:40 GMT
On 2/24/06, Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder - could we leave ij alone, and in run.java add the check for
> protocol? That way, we leave all the capabilities of calling ij using the
> old scripts exactly as is, yet provide the ease of use of running java -jar
> derbytools.jar ij with a default protocol?

Yes, we could. Although, it seems to me that the behavior wouldn't be
any different if we just made it the default in ij itself. The old
scripts, for example, would continue to work as-is just as they would
before. And, if you were connecting to a database using a non-Derby
JDBC driver with a fully qualified URL, again no change in current
behavior. And, if the change was in ij, then you get the benefit of
the default protocol if you call the class directly as well.

andrew