db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Right place to save database owner ...
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:37:21 GMT
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

    <pre wrap="">Seems strange to me to create a schema just to store the database owner,
does not seem natural or intuitive. Though, maybe I'm a little confused
by your description, you say "new system schema" and "new system
catalog", did you mean to say schema throughout? Though the last part of
the last sentence seems like what you are describing with SYSDBA.</pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->Right... I meant to say "system schema" throughout... One
place I seem
to have mentioned catalog instead. Any reason why system schemas need to
be owned by 'SA_USER_NAME', which is 'DBA'? Changing current system
schemas authorizationId to database owner authorizationID seems to make
sense to me.

Since I haven't heard any objections to change system schemas
authorizationId from 'DBA' (pseudo-user) to authorizationId of database
owner, I will proceed with my code changes. Speak up if this doesn't
One added advantage of this change is that all system routines would
now be owned by database owner and would need explicit authorization to
perform operations like freeze, unfreeze, backup without any special
code. I will add RoutinePermsDescriptors to allow execute privilege to
other system routines that all users should be able to invoke by
I also think all routines in SYSIBM schema should be executable by all.
Only DBA access for INSTALL_JAR, REMOVE_JAR and REPLACE_JAR, by default?<br>
<pre wrap="">

View raw message