db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Grant -revoke (464) and future backwards compat
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:18:23 GMT
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

> Until these system privileges are ready, current proposal limits
> accesses that would cause forward compatibility issues. If sqlStandard
> mode allows unrestricted schema creation now, this would cause issues in
> the future where existing applications may need to change or we have to
> introduce another property like what is being done now. Current legacy
> authorization model is not compatible with standard model or what Derby
> might really want to support, but at the same time, we can't drop
> support for it because of existing applications. I believe Dan is try to
> ensure current proposal doesn't create any future compatibility issues,
> even if in the short term, Derby's new capabilities are restrictive.

My main concern here is usability.  As long as the legacy mode is the
default, it seems OK to enforce such restrictions in sqlStandard mode
since it will probably not hit unexperienced users.  Will legacy mode
always be the default?  Do we plan to switch to sqlStandard mode at some
point in time?

Another important aspect of usability is that a product behaves in a
familiar way.  That is, the behavior is similar to similar products.  I
am a bit concerned if users will need to know about a specific property
in order to be able to use GRANT/REVOKE.  Also, can we really claim to
be standards-compliant if one needs to set specific property in order to
be able to use parts of the standard?

I also note that while easy-to-use and standards-based is covered by the
Derby Charter, backward-compatibility is not.  ;-)

--
Øystein