db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: is it possible to call language sql/execute/AlterTableConstantAction from a system procedure?
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:09:33 GMT
#2 seems best to me, i just didn't know if it fit with the current
derby architecture.  I think it also has the benefit of least
amount of extra code in the system for a relative infrequent ddl

As you point out a move toward sharing the alter code will make it
much more likely no special casing needed for future development

Is there anyone interested in doing some relatively simple parser
work?  I would be happy to work as a primary mentor on this project
if anyone is interested.  I will file the JIRA.

Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
> Hi Mike,
> Mike Matrigali wrote:
>>are 3 options:
>>1) copy the code to the system procedure
>>2) use the same method as offline compress, ie. add some internal
>>   syntax so that the whole setup is just done by the parser.
>>3) somehow call the alter statement node directly from "around"
>>   the parser.  I have no idea if this is possible, or how hard.
> I would vote for option 2) here... since we already have <ALTER> ....
> <COMPRESS> [ <SEQUENTIAL>] production in the parser. Would it be
> sufficient to add another token, like [ <OFFLINE> ] and switch the
> implementation at execution time? If so, much cleaner than 1) or 3), in
> my opinion.
> Satheesh
>>Any opinions on how to get the system procedure inplace compress
>>to share the alter table execution code?

View raw message