db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: derbytools.jar loading derbyclient.jar
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:08:48 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 2/27/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>>derbytools.jar will automatically put derbyclient.jar in the
>>>classpath. Since you have derbytools.jar from trunk before
>>>derbyclient.jar version 10.1 in your classpath, derbyclient.jar will
>>>be shadowed. Sysinfo will however report that you are using the 10.1
>>>version of derbyclient.jar, since it only sees the CLASSPATH variable.
>>
>>What Jira was this added under?
>

> DERBY-1019
>

>>Is this really a good idea?
>

> Only if you want to be able to execute one of the tools with java -jar
> derbytools.jar and be able to use it with a client connection without
> setting up the classpath. But now that I think about it, probably not
> since who knows how many people's applications already have classpath
> set up a particular way, although it's only a problem in a mixed jar
> environment.
>

>>It seems bad to me that I set up my CL:ASSPATH to get one client and derbytools
>>decides to give me another one.  Then  with DERBY-668 sysinfo tells me I
>>have the one I want.
>

> It certainly underscores the need to get DERBY-668 fixed. And when it
> is fixed, we should take care that we show which jar is actually
> taking precedence.

Right, having sysinfo return the correct information is a requirement
for 10.2, especially with the Class-Path attributes in the jars. Even if
Derby didn't have Class-Path attributes, other jars could, sysinfo is
just making incorrect assumptions about its environment.

> I hadn't considered the mixed jar environment, sorry, and I guess
> there's no choice but to take out the Class-Path attribute from
> derbytools.jar. Sadly, it cripples the spirit of 1019: there is then
> no direct path to using the tools and one must explain classpath
> before using the tools. Ah well, so it goes...

Let's not rush into removing this feature, which is really useful for
the majority of Derby users. Let's understand the impact on existing
users and see what the best way forward is.

Dan.