db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: conflict detection strategies
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:35:14 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> I was not aware of the alter table dependency check for offline
> compress, this must be outside of store somehow  - maybe something
> tied to all alter table statements.  It may make sense
> to change online compress to hook up with whatever offline compress
> is doing to make this happen.
>
> Just testing the current system does not mean that future changes
> won't break SUR.  Unless we agree to change the contract on unlocked
> RowLocations, then it still isn't right for code to depend on
> an unlocked RowLocation not ever pointing to the wrong row - because
> of the issue with truncate.   Some possible issues with your test
> in the online compress case:

I think you previously said:
"
    In current access methods this could be enforced this while holding a
    easily if the table level intent
    lock requirement is added.
    I would be comfortable adding this to store contract.  It
    seems reasonable and allows coordination through locking. "

I therefore think it would be good if the  contract said:
  * truncate and compress requires exclusive table locking
  * the truncate, purge and compress operations do not share any locks
with user transactions

Are you ok with adding this to the contract ?

> 1) online compress has 3 separate phases, all of which do different
>    types of locking.  Some use internal transactions, which explain
>    the conflict lock.  I would try the following test:
>    o autocommit off
>    o hold cursor as your example, with a next
>    o commit transaction
>    o execute in place compress now that hold cursor has released all
> it's locks.

This is exactly the problem for the holdable case: truncate. After
truncate, a Page can be recreated, and RowLocations may be reused on the
new page. This should not be a problem for the non-holdable case, since
we will hold the table intent lock.

Andreas