db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Right place to save database owner ...
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:15:35 GMT
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
> I have been working on saving database owner name that is needed for
> grant & revoke implementation. [snip]

> There may be a need to expose this authorizationID through catalogs so
> tools can pick up the value. So my current thoughts are to create a new
> system schema (SYSDBA?) that is owned by authorizationID of database
> owner. This new system catalog would be documented and is the expected
> way to get database owner name. Any thoughts or objections? Other option
> is to change existing system schemas or a specific schema to be owned by
> database owner.

Seems strange to me to create a schema just to store the database owner,
does not seem natural or intuitive. Though, maybe I'm a little confused
by your description, you say "new system schema" and "new system
catalog", did you mean to say schema throughout? Though the last part of
the last sentence seems like what you are describing with SYSDBA.

> Other options like saving database owner as internal database property
> or in dictionary objects that is saved on disk may make it harder to
> expose database owner name.

One can always write a system function that returns the database owner,
regardless of how it is stored. I think this would be a more natural
approach, rather than trying to force it into an existing system catalog.

Dan.