db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Right place to save database owner ...
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:08:23 GMT
I have been working on saving database owner name that is needed for
grant & revoke implementation. Initially I thought all system schemas
may be owned by authorizationID of the database owner, but they are
actually owned by 'DBA', a pseudo-user, I suppose.

There may be a need to expose this authorizationID through catalogs so
tools can pick up the value. So my current thoughts are to create a new
system schema (SYSDBA?) that is owned by authorizationID of database
owner. This new system catalog would be documented and is the expected
way to get database owner name. Any thoughts or objections? Other option
is to change existing system schemas or a specific schema to be owned by
database owner.

Other options like saving database owner as internal database property
or in dictionary objects that is saved on disk may make it harder to
expose database owner name.

Satheesh