db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby commit process
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 03:20:28 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> You mention committing a patch to the current trunk.
>
> Which makes me wonder, what should be the process for providing patches
> for only a branch if something doesn't apply to the trunk? No
> different? Or is this too rare to document?

I think ' to the current trunk ' could be removed from that line. The
whole page seems to apply equally to patches made to a branch.

> And will a committer automatically apply a patch to another branch if
> the 'affects version' also indicate that branch?

The committer isn't going to do this automatically, though of course
they could if they had that itch. Applying the patch to a branch
requires a new set of testing that the committer may not have the
inclination to do. The patch may not be suitable as-is for the branch,
it may change behaviour or rely on other patches the committer is
unfamiliar with.

> Or does that require a
> separate patch? (I think the merge commands have been submitted by
> contributors, not sure if that was an actual decided-on process).

If a merge command works then it's fine to provide it instead of a patch.

Seems like a 'branch or merge patch' page would be a useful separate
addition to the commits page.

Dan.