db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Best way to organize a Jiira entry for documenting changes that might affect existing applications for the release notes?
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:05:51 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I like the idea of a single master 10.2 Release Notes JIRA which links
> to all the relevant JIRAs, each of which can have a RELEASE NOTES
> comment formatted as you suggest. This sounds simple and would be very
> helpful.

My focus  is on  a separate Release Notes section to  document changes
that might negatively impact  existing applications.  While documenting
important bug fixes and summarizing new functionality is important for
the Release Notes, it is not what I am trying to compile  with this Jira
entry.

> I don't understand the implications of an "info check box" plus
> querying instructions.

Using this approach,  we would have a check box  "User Impact" similar
to the one we currently have for "Patch Available".

Instead of linking the individual issues to the  Jira entry, developers
would just check this box.   Then the Jira entry  would either point to
a a global filter  set up to bring up all the issues marked Fixin 10.2
that have this box  checked or tell how to search Jira for that information.

The upside to this approach is that
- it is quite easy for developers
- provides a visual signal that they might need to consider marking the
issue for inclusion in the release notes.
- Developers might consider whether the user impact is *absolutely*
necessary.
- People concerned about  user impact  issues have an easy way to query
to find out what they are.

> I also don't understand the value of a wiki page.

The Wiki page would be a place where all the info was centralized for
users trying out 10.2 until the actual release notes exist.  Also it
might be convenient for doc writers.  Downside of this is it is a pain
to maintain.

So after explaining it, I kind of like the  check box for "User
Impact".   For your larger concern about the  release notes in general,
maybe another one for "Release Note Needed" ?

Kathey