db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "DerbyContributorChecklist" by RichardHillegas
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:01:08 GMT
Apache Wiki wrote:
> Dear Wiki user,
>
> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Db-derby Wiki" for change notification.
>
> The following page has been changed by RichardHillegas:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyContributorChecklist

>   ||Copyright Notice||Every java file in your patch must start with the Apache [http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#apply
 copyright notice]. See the existing Derby Java files for examples. ||
>   ||Tests||Don't forget to include regression tests with your patch.||
>   ||Coding Standards||The Derby community has not approved a common body of coding standards.
Individual contributors have found the following standards useful: [http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html
 Java Coding Standards] and [http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/CodingStandards  Geronimo Coding
Standards].||
> + ||Comments||Make sure you comment your code.||
> + ||Tabs||Set your tabs at 4 spaces. This was the original Cloudscape convention. With
this setting your code should look readable.||

Hi,

I know the issue has been discussed before, but is it deliberate that
the checklist does not specify whether it is preferred to use tabs or
spaces for indentation?

While I'm at it, if we say spaces are preferred over tabs, is it okay to
contribute patches that (only) fix indentation for individual files?
The primary reason for doing this (for me) is that files that mix space
and tab indentation can result in very ugly diffs.

As mentioned earlier, most editors/IDEs are able to cope with this
issue, so it's no problem when working with the code in these tools.

--
Kristian