db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Derby commit process
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:39:40 GMT
> 3) There is some special svn processing needed for added/deleted files
> in patches.  Perhaps some explanation of that would be good or a link to
> someplace that does.

Yes, I'd like to incorporate this content. But I'm not quite sure what
it should say. I believe you're talking about the problem that is raised
in the mail thread here: http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-09/0469.shtml

Unfortunately, that page doesn't really explain the answer, because I
think that maybe there isn't a perfect answer right now.

Here's what I think I might put into the db-derby Wiki page. What do
you think?

   Note that the patch format as produced by "svn diff" is not perfect;
   in particular, it does not clearly describe changes which entirely
   delete existing files or which add brand-new files. For more background
   on the problem, read: http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-09/0469.shtml

   If the patch adds or deletes a file, this should have been mentioned
   explicitly by the developer when the patch was attached to the JIRA
   issue, and the output of "svn stat" should also have been attached to
   assist the committer and reviewers.

   Here's how to apply a patch which includes adds and/or deletes:
   * apply the patch normally, using "patch -p0"
   * read the "svn stat" output from the JIRA issue, and take note of
     each file which is to be (A)dded or (D)eleted.
   * For each file, "svn revert" the file to undo the changes made by
     patch, then issue "svn add" or "svn delete" as appropriate.
   * Issue "svn stat" on your sandbox, and compare the results against
     the output attached to the JIRA issue.

thanks,

bryan