db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Best way to organize a Jiira entry for documenting changes that might affect existing applications for the release notes?
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:18:39 GMT
I want to file a Jira entry to document product changes that might
affect existing applications for release notes for 10.2.
I am a bit torn on how to set this up most effectively to make this
convenient for users, developers, and doc writers.
Here are my thoughts

1) Add a comment to each issue  with a tag [RELEASE NOTES]
2) Open a Jira entry to document changes that might affect existing
applications

then  either ...
Option A
3) Link the the various issues

Option B
3) Make a other info check box for "User Impact"  and check it for the
relevant issues.
4) Add instructions to the Jira entry on how to query.

Option C (could  be in addition to either A or B)
3) Link the Jira entry to a wiki page that has links to the bugs and a
summary of the impact and justification"

Here is a sample format of the comment for DERBY-721

[RELEASE NOTES]
DERBY-721 : State of InputStream retrieved from resultset is not clean
if there exists previous InputStream.

Resolution:
Derby will now throw an error  if there is a second
ResultSet.getXXXStream()    on the same column of a row.

Impact:
Applications which retrieved the stream twice may have been getting
incorrect results but now will see an error:
SQLSTATE(null): java.sql.SQLException: Stream of column value in result
cannot be retrieved twice

Justification:
Previously Derby would return incorrect results in this case, so an
error is now thrown.   The ResultSet javadoc indicates that each column
should be read only once.