db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby commit process
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:54:45 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>

>>In preparation for issuing my first commit, I tried to write up an
>>overall
>>summary of the Derby commit process as I understand it. Could you please
>>give it a quick read and help me improve it?
>>
>>http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyCommitProcess
>>

> Thanks Bryan for writing this up. I only have a few comments, mostly
> about things I have done differently in the past which may or may not be
> correct:

Thanks again Bryan, good write-up.

> 1) " The committer applies the patch to the current trunk and verifies
> that it applies cleanly and passes derbyall."
>
> I do not run derbyall for every patch, having assumed that the
> contributor did that.  I do run specific relevant tests and will usually
> run derbynetmats for network server changes as it is not included in
> derbyall if folks don't download JCC and sometimes J2ME/CDC/Foundation
> or jdk131 if I think there will be impact..

You could modify the page to move the testing to the "Good practices"
section, and say something like:

   - committer uses their judgement to run sufficient tests

> <>2)" The committer updates the JIRA entry to:
>     -  mark the issue as resolved"
>
> I have always left this for the fixer to do, but maybe it makes more
> sense for the committer to do it.  I don't have any objection.  Maybe
> modify this to say:
> - mark the issue as resolved if it has been fully resolved with the patch.

I'd already modified the comment to be:

 mark the issue as resolved, if the issue is complete

> 4) I seem to remember Oyvind (Oyvind.Bakksjo@Sun.COM) had  posted some
> tips for committers/reviewers at one point , but I can't seem to find
> them in the archives now.

I added a PatchAdvice page, feel free to add to or modify it.
You could add a ReviewAdvice page as well.

> 5) Would a link to http://incubator.apache.org/guides/committer.html be
> appropriate?

Possibly, please add it if you think it helps, I added links the the DB
guidelines.

Dan.