db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Derby commit process
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:25:03 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> In preparation for issuing my first commit, I tried to write up an
> overall
> summary of the Derby commit process as I understand it. Could you please
> give it a quick read and help me improve it?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyCommitProcess

Thanks Bryan for writing this up. I only have a few comments, mostly
about things I have done differently in the past which may or may not be
correct:

1) " The committer applies the patch to the current trunk and verifies
that it applies cleanly and passes derbyall."

I do not run derbyall for every patch, having assumed that the
contributor did that.  I do run specific relevant tests and will usually
run derbynetmats for network server changes as it is not included in
derbyall if folks don't download JCC and sometimes J2ME/CDC/Foundation
or jdk131 if I think there will be impact..

<>2)" The committer updates the JIRA entry to:
    -  mark the issue as resolved"

I have always left this for the fixer to do, but maybe it makes more
sense for the committer to do it.  I don't have any objection.  Maybe
modify this to say:
- mark the issue as resolved if it has been fully resolved with the patch.

3) There is some special svn processing needed for added/deleted files
in patches.  Perhaps some explanation of that would be good or a link to
someplace that does.

4) I seem to remember Oyvind (Oyvind.Bakksjo@Sun.COM) had  posted some
tips for committers/reviewers at one point , but I can't seem to find
them in the archives now.

5) Would a link to http://incubator.apache.org/guides/committer.html be
appropriate?

Kathey