db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: default holdability
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:33:36 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>The ability to run in different class loaders, I believe, is not a "get
>of jail free card" for backwards compatibility. I don't want to
>applications written against Derby to have the be re-written to move up
>to a later version.

Agreed.  My position that we will always have to have a seamless upgrade
that does not require application changes is pretty solid. Where it
makes sense we can deprecate existing functionality but we cannot change
overnight.

Although the ability to run in different class loaders would help
mitigate support risks significantly, even if we had this capability and
I thought it was used in practice by every application to gain complete
control over its own Derby version,  I can think of only one of the
numerous proposals to break backward compatibility where my position
would have wavered at all.  It probably wasn't fair of me to imply that
if someone implemented this it would soften my position.

Kathey