db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject compiling XML.java in Java 1.5
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:39:31 GMT
I noticed that /java/engine/org/apache/derby/iapi/types/XML.java uses
the org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl class,and it had
the following comments:

// Note that even though the following has a Xalan
// package name, it IS part of the JDK 1.4 API, and
// thus we can compile it without having Xalan in
// our classpath.
import org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl;

The JDK 1.5 API and runtime, does not have this class, (it has been
renamed), so I have the following questions:

1. Is it necessary to use the impl class, instead of accessing the
object through the TransformerFactory interface ?

2. At runtime, is there a guarantee that the class is available when
using Java 1.5 JDK and using XML functionality ? I noticed the class is
also inside xalan.jar, so I guess that this functionality requires this
jar file to be included at runtime.

Thanks

Andreas