db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Main class for derbytools.jar
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:05:34 GMT
Kathy Saunders wrote:

> I agree with Oystein.  I do think there are customers who use these
> scripts--they are not just viewed by everyone as sample files.  I also
> think that it's very common to have a bin directory that contains
> scripts like these.  In particular, I believe that users expect to see a
> startserver script or executable in a bin directory.  My opinion is that
> we keep the scripts (with appropriate clean up), but move them to a bin
> directory under DERBY_HOME where they will be easier to find.

Do we need to leave the scripts in the frameworks directory as well?
If we care about backwards compatibility for these then they should
remain where they are.

We may want to look at what useful scripts should be provided in a new
bin directory. Ones that work without the user having to modify them or
run separate setup scripts.

Dan.