db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathy Saunders <kat...@mtrad.com>
Subject Re: New Main class for derbytools.jar
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:53:58 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

> On 2/22/06, *Øystein Grøvlen* <Oystein.Grovlen@sun.com
> <mailto:Oystein.Grovlen@sun.com>> wrote:
>
>     Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>
>     > Great, let's take it one step further. Why don't we remove the
>     > frameworks directory. Completely. All the scripts there are for
>     > running the above three classes, and NetworkServerControl, which we
>     > also recently added the ability to run with -jar. Perhaps we could
>     > have a top-level bin directory with a simple readme on how to
>     run the
>     > tools.
>
>     I would think there might be applications that currently depend on
>     these
>     scripts.  They would break if the scripts are removed.
>
>     --
>     Øystein
>

> It's a point...Although I always thought of the scripts as more of a
> 'sample' type file, I would expect a production application to need
> additional things, like their own jars, additional settings and the
> like, and/or have the jars in another place than the derby-home dir as
> indicated by the scripts...
>
> Myrna

I agree with Oystein.  I do think there are customers who use these
scripts--they are not just viewed by everyone as sample files.  I also
think that it's very common to have a bin directory that contains
scripts like these.  In particular, I believe that users expect to see a
startserver script or executable in a bin directory.  My opinion is that
we keep the scripts (with appropriate clean up), but move them to a bin
directory under DERBY_HOME where they will be easier to find.

Kathy