db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [web] Request for website updates for nightly builds and javadoc
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:18:43 GMT
Ole Solberg wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>> It would be easy for http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html to
>>> point to an index of nightly builds on
>>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/
>>> It's hard to automatically rebuild the web site nightly to point to each
>>> specific new build (more details below).
>> These two lings are farily static I think:
>>  The 10.1 builds are at:
>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/
>> The trunk  builds (10.2) are at:
>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/
>> and should be separately linked from the downloads page.
>> We wouldn't need a new link until 10.2 branched.
> I agree that we should just have links from the Derby downloads page to
> "my" Derby/builds/ and Derby-10.1/builds/ pages.
> When we get another branch we will have to do some manual updates both
> to the Derby download page and "my" pages anyway.

infrequent updates to the derby web aren't any problem at all -- and any
committer can make them, incidently.

I'm looking at http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html, and here's the
wording regarding builds:

> # Builds are not official Apache releases. All releases require due process and official
approval. Distributions which are not officially blessed are termed builds.
>     * Nightly Builds are simply built from HEAD once a day. These are intended to allow
those without access to Apache code repositories to access the latest code. Of course, these
come with no guarantees concerning quality.

How about this wording for a new "Nightly Builds" section on
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html .

  Unofficial nightly builds are available from the links below:

   * 10.1 : http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/
   * development trunk:

  Nightly builds are generated automatically and there is no guarantee
that they will actually work! Production systems should *always* use the
official release.

tight enough? need additional wording?

View raw message