db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: RowLocation validation, for holdable SUR
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:48:11 GMT
The SUR should not know anything about the underlying implementation
of the access method getting the row, so having it "read a timestamp"
from page does not work. If the timestamp is not in the rowlocation,
we could add a get a timestamp for row at this rowlocation, but forcing
two trips to the store for every row is a overhead.  Rather than discuss
implementation it would be nice to understand the minimum necessary
services needed to be provided by the access method.  Do the same
interfaces need to be provided by VTI's?  At least
for your use I think the timestamp need only guarantee to be different
after a truncate from previous version on page.

Since you are ok with invalidating the SUR in the case of offline
compress, what about invalidating the SUR in the case of online
compress also?  One way to do this is for the system catalogs to
maintain a table version number, which would be guaranteed to not
change while any sort of table intent lock was present.  Any operation
which either copied rows to another container or truncated the
table would bump the version number.  And holdable cursors would need
to recheck the version number after losing the lock at commit time.

The downside is that some SUR's are invalidated that didn't need to be,
but compress kicking in, in a holdable cursor in the time between a
commit and then next operation in the cursor is going to be a
rare event.  The upside is that there is no extra per row overhead in
the system for the normal case.

There already exists a ddl invalidation scheme for invalidating query
plans, maybe this existing structure could be used to invalidate
SUR's after the commit?