db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [web] Request for website updates for nightly builds and javadoc
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:53:02 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I think it would be good from the download page to point to the nightly
> builds that Ole posts for users to try out if they want to be daring:
>
> 10.2 - http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/
> 10.1 - http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/

It would be easy for http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html to
point to an index of nightly builds on
http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/

It's hard to automatically rebuild the web site nightly to point to each
specific new build (more details below).

> I also think it would be good for the public API javadoc to be linked
> from the Manuals page.
> I know it is linked from the Papers page, but I don't think users would

I think this point is resolved in your followup post.

> Three questions:
> 1) Does anyone see any issue with linking these builds to the download
> page with suitable disclaimers?

Linking to each new build is a problem because the web site would need
to be automatically regenerated, committed, then checked out on
people.apache.org. (Details are in
http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html ; what isn't said is the ASF
infrastructure volunteers depend on built pages being checked into svn
so in the case of a system failure they can simply check the built
websites out of svn, possibly on a new machine.)

Linking from http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html to another
index page of the builds outside the Derby web site shouldn't be a
problem -- and disclaimers are needed. I think there might be an ASF
policy wrt to nightly builds. I'll chase it down if somebody doesn't
beat me to it.

> 2) I noticed the 10.1 page talks about the alpha flag which I think is
> not applicable.

Which page? could you provide the complete URL?

> 3)  Should I fiile this as  2 Jira issues or lump them together as one?

I think maybe a more generic issue is "how to make nightly builds
available".

 -jean