db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: RowLocation validation, for holdable SUR
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:21:39 GMT
I will modify the suggestion somewhat. I think first, that offline
compress is not a problem, even for the holdable SUR. Since offline
compress moves the records to another container, the SUR cursors should
  detect that container they use is no longer valid, when renavigating
to the row.

If a client of store moves a row by deleting and inserting it somewhere
else, the SUR should not find the row when trying to do renavigate to it
for update or delete, and can give an error.

What our problem is, is the case where a row is inserted into the
container, and it gets the same RowLocation as a row which we have read
into the SUR. The row which we had previously read into the SUR, must
have been deleted and purged for this to happen.

In addition, as far as I can see, for a new row to get the same
RowLocation as a row previously deleted and purged, the page for the
row, must have been truncated, and recreated.

So then how can we detect that a page has been recreated ? We could i.e
use a timestamp on the create/recreate time of the page. This timestamp
could be read by the SUR as it reads the RowLocation (so we do not need
to change the impl. of RowLocation), and again, we would probably need
to change the header for the page, so that we can store the timestamp.

Andreas