db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Accept username of form xyz@somedomain.com
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:26:36 GMT

Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

>Also this authorizationID is currently used as SQL identifier. According
>to ANSI, SQL identifiers can only have alphabets, digits and underscore.
>That is why there seems to be that check. So, skamba@xyz.com is not a
>valid SQL identifier.
>
>You could treat them as delimited identifiers... meaning
>'skamba@xyz.com', but that has its own issues.. User names need to be
>case insensitive.

The second part of the statement is not quite correct... User names are
case sensitive for authentication purpose, but not for authorization
purpose. Take a look at section "Authorization identifiers, user
authentication, and user authorization" in reference guide.

Current Grant and Revoke DDL functionality that is already committed
treats grantee as 'Authentication identifier', treating it case
sensitive. I think it should treat grantee as 'Authorization
identifier', making it like an SQL-identifier. I am changing this in
Phase II Grant and Revoke patch.

Satheesh