db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Grant -revoke (464) and future backwards compat
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:59:54 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">The reason that grant/revoke (DERBY-464) has to add a mode

derby.database.sqlAuthorization={true|false}

is that the grant/revoke requires a different access model to Derby's
current model.
  </pre>
I am still not satisfied this is the right way to switch authorization
models. Could having a system procedure to switch mode from legacy
authorization to standard authorization be better? This property can
code to ensure this.<br>
  <pre wrap="">
I'd like to ensure that we don't need to introduce another mode switch
in a future release, related to this area. Ending up several releases
from now with these properties would be bad

10.3 derby.database.sqlAuthorizationWeReallyMeanItThisTime={true|false}

10.4 derby.database.sqlAuthorizationOKMaybeThisTime={true|false}

:-)
  </pre>
This is a problem... I think it would be wise to advise users to follow
SQL standard mode of operation or any other that we may enhance derby
to in the future.<br>
  <pre wrap="">
Maybe there's other work that needs to be done to avoid jarring mode
switches in the future.

The alternative is to document, for 10.2, when

derby.database.sqlAuthorization=true

that behaviour may change in the future, be warned (with possible examples).
  </pre>
It should be ok to document recommended practices... no?<br>
Satheesh<br>