db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Grant -revoke (464) and future backwards compat
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:47:04 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> I think we need to answer your question
>
>> Maybe the more general question is: "How do we want permissions to
>> behave once all the related work is done, and does that model have any
>> discontinuities with the model currently proposed for 10.2?"
>>

> before we consider
>
>> The alternative is to document, for 10.2, when
>>
>> derby.database.sqlAuthorization=true
>>
>> that behaviour may change in the future, be warned (with possible
> examples).
>
> If I were an app developer, reading something like this would make me
> pretty uncomfortable, as I have no clear safety net to avoid unexpected
> authorization errors in the future.

I agree, I think it's better to throw all options out there and see what
happens in the dicussion. One of the great things about open source
development in the archiving of all discussions, since all discussions
are meant to happen on the list. This then captures why a direction
(such as this) was rejected. That's important when a future dicussion
re-visits the topic and needs to see why certain paths were taken and
*not* taken. Summarizing off-list discussions is never the same, as in
general, folks summarize fairly well the path forward, but not the
reasons for the not-taken paths.

Dan.