db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: conflict detection strategies
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:21:37 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:

> Hi,

> Daniel> Was this posted, the more detailed solution?
> Daniel>
> Daniel> There was a little more detail on a proposed interaction with online
> Daniel> compress, but I think that is based upon a whole lot of design thinking
> Daniel> and assumptions which has not made it to list.
>
> We will submit a detailed description of the approach with the first
> patch for DERBY-690 (embedded SUR); it should be ready for upload any
> day now. This should hopefully provide enough context for the
> reviewers.

That's great. I would encourage in the future bringing designs and ideas
to the derby-dev list before undergoing a serious coding effort. If the
design is based upon a wrong assumption then it can mean a lot of wasted
effort for everyone. Everyone should treat the derby-dev list and the
folks on it as a great resource and your team members.

I do have concerns with "We will submit a detailed description", this
implies to me that there is a team of folks working on this design
without talking to the list. I guess you have every right to do this,
but it's not realy open source development, and in my eyes does not
build merit in the Apache way.

Thanks,
Dan.