db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: conflict detection strategies
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:33:30 GMT
There are very few cross thread dependencies not managed by locks
currently.  These things add extra complications to current and
future code.  Also I want to understand clearly the new restrictions
be imposted on the access methods (both current and possible
future).  In the future we would like to do more automatic space
reclamation as part of the zero-admin goal, the ability to do this
in the future internal to access methods is probably affected by
the proposals here.

It is true that the current access methods don't reuse row locations
until a table level lock is granted.  But your project would be the
first dependency on this outside of the access method implementations
themselves.  It is very clear the contract that the access methods
have with their clients while locks are held on the data they are
looking at, what you are proposing is a contract on unlocked data.

Note that the current "in-place" compress will MOVE rows from one
row location to another if one does not have a row lock on the row.
This is done in the 2nd phase and only holds an intent lock, and
exclusive row locks on the rows being moved.
The off-line compress only does work under an X table lock.
So the row that you are updating actually will exist in the table,
but currently you will request the old location and will get back
a delete row indicator.  I think because of this option 1 does not
work.

The state of held cursors across commits is very murky in the standards.
We looked very carefully at forward only held cursors, and the standards
there are carefully worded to basically not promise anything about the
rows that were viewed that preceded the commit (clearly since the
standard says the only thing you can do after the commit is a next to
get a new row or close - never can access rows looked at before the
commit).  What options are legal
implementations of updatable scrollable result sets for held cursors
across commits?  Do the standards guarantee anything about data in the
cursor looked at before the commit?