db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: conflict detection strategies
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:42:07 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
..
> If possible I would like to see a solution that does not require special
> messages sent back and forth between modules about state.

I am not entirely sure what restrictions you want to put on the design,
it is a bit unclear to me.

I have considered some other solutions:

1. Change the locking behaviour, so that a table intent lock which is
set by an updatable cursor, is kept as long as the cursor is open - this
will ensure that the RowLocations are valid.

2. After a commit, we could clear all data in the internal table in the
SUR. The problem with this approach is that the resultset would not
necessarily be repopulated with the same data - it would be sensitive
for changes across its own transactions commits, it would be highly
ineffecient.

3. Let the cursors notify the OnlineCompress module that it should fail
any attempt to compress/defragment or purge the table.

More details on what I suggested yesterday:

The OnlineCompress class could provide an event mechanism, where
subscribers (OnlineCompressListener) register themselves to listen to
OnlineCompressEvents. The ScrollInsensitiveResultSet class could then
implement the OnlineCompressListener interface, and register itself once
it starts populating the table with RowLocations. The OnlineCompress
class then simply notifies all listeners once it is doing defragment /
compress.
The listeners should unregister themselves (i.e
ScrollInsensitiveResultSet class could do it once it closes). The
OnlineCompress class could use a WeakHashMap to put the listeners into,
in case they are not well-behaved. I have not checked if derby already
has event manager type of modules, if it does, I would attempt to reuse
them.

Please also let me know if any of the other alternatives seems better.

Andreas